Friday, April 11, 2008

What My Girls Teach Me About God


I tend to think of myself as my girls' teacher, but in some ways they are mine. There are things I've learned about God's love that I would not have known otherwise had I not had Joy and Anna Kate. I've learned what it means to love someone because they are made in your image (Genesis 1:26-27). I've learned that no matter how my girls behave, my love never changes and so it is with God. I've experienced the awesome wonder of watching them sleep and getting tears in my eyes because I love them so much and they are mine. Sometimes I sing a quiet song over them. God says He rejoices over us with singing (Zephaniah 3:17). One of my greatest pleasures now is watching my girls take pleasure in life.....whether its Anna Kate (3 mos) enjoying the mobile over her baby bed or Joy (2 yrs) having so much fun hunting for Easter Eggs. I have said many times how parents shouldn't spoil their kids with too much stuff, but now I've experienced the great temptation to purchase something you think they will enjoy....we just love to see our kids have fun. I really think God does too (1 Tim. 6:17)! And finally, I realize that God created us so that He could enjoy a relationship with us. He didn't need us to work for Him or bring Him the remote control, or rub His feet. It was purely out of the perfect love of the Trinity that the human race was created. That's why we had our little girls....so that we could love them, experience a loving relationship and then let that love be passed down to future generations. And finally for now, my heart swells with joy when my girls enjoy each other's company. I love it when Joy makes Anna Kate grin that large toothless grin. I now know a little of how it must feel for God when His kids get along too....how good & pleasant it is when brothers dwell together in unity (Psalm 133:1).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Johnna,

I love your blog! Thanks for the reminder of why I'm a mother and how much God loves us.

Love you,
Jenny C.