Monday, September 21, 2009

Behold, Children Are a Blessing....

"Behold, chldren are a gift of the LORD..." Psalm 127:3. Yes, we've all heard this. Before I had children, the meaning I envisioned was that of children making me feel loved with their tender hugs and kisses, helping with household chores, displaying the best qualities of both my husband and I, etc, etc...you get the picture. Today God began to give me a deeper realization of why they are such a blessing. I guess the word "blessing" uniquely manifests itself in each season of life. As you know, I'm in the season of life with very young children. They are sweet, beautiful, funny and are two of the best things that have ever happened in my life. However, I find myself in a time when I've never needed Jesus so much. That's a blessing to realize my need for God. Never before have I been quite this emotionally and physically tested for an ongoing period of time(really since their birth), probably because I've never emotionally invested this much in anyone. Not even my husband, he leaves each morning, my children do not. St. Peter tells me, "Don't be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes up on you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you." God's not surprised that I'm being tested; rather He's even ordained it! College had some challenges but you could see light at the end of the tunnel because classes were arranged by semester. Parenthood is a class that once you begin, you are enrolled for life! It is the most humbling experience I've ever participated in. I'm trying, or perhaps my children are making sure that I "humble myself under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt me at the proper time". Here are some other ways God's used my children to bless my life in recent months:

They reveal the corruption of my flesh, "wretched man that I am!" Romans 7:24
Some days of mommy-hood force me to take an eternal perspective, forcing me to "look for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and *Savior, Jesus Christ..." Titus 2:13
My girls teach me the blessing of servanthood. "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35
They reveal the only hope I have for making it through motherhood with my right mind...it's found in Christ, "Christ in me, the hope of glory". Colossians 1:27b

~To all you mom's with young kids, hang in there! Don't give up. It's just one more exercise in walking by faith and not sight. And we know that without faith its impossible to please God. So any way you look at it....YES! Children are a blessing from the Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this, Johnna! Randomly remembered you have a blogspot today and I see it is a rarity for you to write :)

Whitney K said...

Johnna, you wrote about this SO well!! I wholeheartedly agree with you. In our Believing God study group, we just memorized Hebrews 11:6 about pleasing God with our faith and how it is a not a one time thing. It is a constant, daily believing in Him! Thank you for a sweet reminder of the blessings these children are!